Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

A Tale of Two Chairs

It was the best of shopping, it was the worst of shopping. No, seriously! For the last two months I have practically driven myself insane (now that's a short trip around the block) trying to decide which chairs to buy for our master suite. We needed one for the bedroom, where I use my lap top, and one for the vanity in the bathroom, to replace our cute little French chair. Why would we replace a cute little French chair? Here's the story:

Jim and I purchased it several years ago at our favorite vintage store and we both loved it! The curvy legs,
the ornate back,
even the gold fabric!
It was the perfect size and just so adorable! I stayed out on the porch with it while he was inside paying and this kid, probably about 10 years old, certainly only enough to know better, came by with his family, jumped up on my chair and started bouncing on it! I asked him to get down because I was purchasing the chair, which solicited quite a look from the child's mother. I guess it wasn't a good sign when a spring flew out of the chair's bottom as Jim carried it to the car! Nonetheless, we brought her home and set her into place and were in love! I was even going to paint the cabinetry to go along with her! Poor thing just seemed jinxed, however. She was showered with red cough syrup as Jim shook the bottle not realizing the cap was lose, more springs and then metal braces continued to fall out of the now split bottom and the fabric began to practically melt before our eyes, splitting in every direction!
Underside of chair-straw like stuffing, collapsed from lack of springs and braces
Upholstery tacks kept showing up on the floor and the seat sunk so low in the middle that I put two large bed pillows on it so we could still sit.
Seat where I had to use pillows
I think that the fabric was just too old and had dry rotted and I'm sure that the bouncing didn't help the springs and braces stay in place. Still, I love her and am planning on attempting to make a solid wood seat for her, tightening her joints (a leg is now falling off) and recovering her in a pretty fabric.
Even in her horrible condition, I still love her!
So, I started a massive online search for a replacement. I had no idea what I wanted to get and made things more confusing by considering painting the rooms - but what color? A nice warm tan? A pretty grey? I like turquoise/aqua accents and of course, pink - my brain was swimming! I even made a Pinterest board so I could keep track of all the chairs that caught my eye and where I'd seen them. I just couldn't decide. Too big, too little, too dark, too busy, too expensive, low customer rating, what color? Oh my aching head! I finally decided upon two neutral chairs that I should be able to use with whatever color I decide to paint, when the time comes. I'll most likely have the same problems looking at paint swatches! Ack!

So here they are - the smaller chair with the script fabric, which I am totally addicted to,  for the vanity and the nice, velvety, comfy ivory chair for the bedroom! Check out her curves!
 




I do have a question for all you fellow furniture lovers - what happened to chairs with arms? I would have liked actual arms on my bedroom chair and while there are hundreds of pieces out there, and I think I saw them all, most do not have arms! Arms are comfy and cozy to lean up against. I noticed that most were labeled as "occasional" chairs. I guess they only come with arms occasionally.

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing my chair-raising, um, hair-raising shopping experience with me!
Hugs, Leena

Sharing with:
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
FromMyFrontPorchToYours - Treasure Hunt Thursday
Ivy and Elephants - What's It Wednesdays
Common Ground - Be Inspired Fridays
Shabby Art Boutique - Shabbilicious Friday Link Party

5 comments:

  1. Leena- I love your new chairs. Both of them AND I love your old one, too. I don't know what happened to all the ARM chairs...but I love them and they are fewer and farther between.

    Did you know that you are still a No Reply when you leave a comment on blogs? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! It made me so sad when I had to throw out my irreparable wing chairs I had reupholstered years before. It's hard to find something real suitable. The wonderful thing about upholstering yourself is the selection of fabric is endless! Love your chairs. The detailing is AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michele! Sad about your wing chairs. I hope you can find suitable replacements! Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet comment! Hugs, Leena

      Delete
  3. Such pretty chairs! (And don't we all love chairs with arms?) Fabric is always the hardest decision....you started with good bones, though. Pretty and ornate. good luck! Catherine (newest follower of your blogging adventures!) : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catherine! Thank you so much for following! Yes, arms on chairs is a real mystery to me. I saw a few but they were really large, bulky and expensive! I'm happy with the choices I made and know that I can decorate around the neutral colors. Thanks for your nice comment! Hugs, Leena

      Delete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...