Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Hunk-a Hunk-a Lovin Junk!

I've been an avid yard sale attendee, flea marketer and curb-shopping junk lover for many years now and during all that time, I've learned a few things. I've learned that there are days when you find anything and everything your junk-lovin' heart desires, all at great prices and you come home with a full car and a happy soul. I also know that there are days when everything you find is too expensive and more along the lines of garbage than junk. Trust me, there IS a difference between the two. I have often pondered the sanity of people who set up a table bright and early on a Saturday morning with a dozen pieces of clutter and sweat it out on a hot summer day for hours, instead of simply taking the items to one of our local charities or just throwing the garbage away. I always feel a bit guilty driving by their sale and not stopping, or stopping and after a quick look, walking away. I'm always polite and offer up a "have a good day" but I still can't help but feel like I have been cast into the role of Yard Sale Gawker. Definition: noun, a person who drives or walks by a yard sale, flea market table or other such sales venue, quickly scans the goods and walks away without purchasing, thus unintentionally snubbing the wares and seller. I really don't like to be a gawker, especially when the sellers are waving and calling out what they have for sale as I drive away, looking straight ahead, as if I don't see them. Oh, such shame I've felt!

There was a particular sale, however, where gawking was the least of my worries. My dear friend Judy and I used to spend the entire day driving all over, looking for treasures. If there was a yard sale, church bazarre, flea market or any other bargain lover's haunt, we'd point the car in that direction. We'd drive and laugh and sing and carry on and have a glorious time! We pulled into a sale one year and after looking around for a bit, Judy let out a squeal, then muffled a giggle. She'd found "the item"; the one that yard sale folk lore is made of. The one about which great tales would be told for generations to come. She'd found.... a used toilet scrubbing brush for only 25 cents! Now, I know that this is a real time-saving device and a true bargain, but, well, ick! I could barely contain my own giggling as I encouraged her to get back into the car before we totally embarrassed ourselves and hurt the seller's feelings. Yes, that was such a good time!

This spring, we had a lot of rain, which really cut down on the amount of sales in the area. After a few disappointing weeks, I had some great outings and was asked by a few folks to post pictures of my "mother load". While I haven't photographed everything yet, here are some samples:


What a haul! Great old bottles, French wine box, tin water pitcher, white jewelry box and wall pocket and a HUGE selection of antique silver flatware from the 1930's! Be still my heart!


Another great sale - silver trays, old duck decoys, silver champagne bucket, old print and frames, sweet cherub (staying with me-can't part with this one)


BIG FIND! Antique chair with green velvet upholstery and carved details including roses - LOVE IT!

Many of these items are in the process of being cleaned up, upcycled, revamped and refurbished prior to my Grand Opening of Pink Cherub Moon online shop later this month. A few, however, like the chair, will be staying with me. Every once in a while, I just fall in love with something and, at least for the time being, treat myself. Not to worry - there are plenty of other great finds just waiting for a new home!
Stay tuned for news about my opening and thank you so much for reading and following. Blogger friends are the best!! Have a good one! ~Leena~
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...