Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Changing Seasons

It has finally started to change to fall here in Virginia. While our temperature keeps fluctuating from around 80 degrees on some days to the low 60's on others, the leaves have caught up with the season and are displaying their fall wardrobe. The gorgeous colors are always a welcomed sight and remind me of chilly childhood evenings filled with the fragrance of wood-burning fire places and burning leaves (yes, my dad used to be able to dispose of leaves by burning them along the curbside). There is something so homey about these scents and I still get that warm, cozy feeling when I smell a fire place in the neighborhood.

My daughter and I took the little ones to a nearby town recently for their town-wide tag sale. More on that tomorrow as I need to take a few pictures of what we purchased. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed wandering around the booths, looking at all the wares for sale. On the way home, I remembered that I had brought my camera, so decided to take a few pictures of the lovely color-changing leaves.
One of the things I am very fond of in our area is the abundance of back roads. Our town was founded in the 1700's so avenues of transportation were carved out of the woods. Some are still dirt, some gravel, some have even been paved. All are charming to travel and are my preferred passages, even though a modern, three-lane highway runs parallel and would be a little faster to use.
There are many horse farms and tons of trees. I always enjoy seeing signs with the names of the properties on them. This one had the cutest little road leading up to the house. I've often thought it would be fun to have a name for my property, but living in a neighborhood doesn't lend the same type of charm that these farms possess.

One of my favorite things is to drive along while being bombarded by falling leaves. When my kids were little, this always solicited a cheerful shout of "leave attack!" followed by much giggling. It's nice to now be able to teach my grandchildren these silly little things and, once the leaves fall and I get them raked, I'm going to introduce them to the joy of diving into a huge pile of leaves and tossing them up into the air! I remember when my dad, brother and I did this with my kids. Even our dog Shoni got involved in the fun!
I'm planning on taking another little jaunt down this road and attempt to get more leaf pictures and some of the horses that live along it. That's the one downside of back roads; there aren't too many places to pull over when a photo opportunity comes along.
Thank you for joining me on my little road trip! I hope you enjoyed the view. Have a wonderful day!
Hugs, Leena

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost
 
Linking to: Savvy Southern Style, Wow Us Wednewsday



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and fall colors! I was in Leesburg 2 weeks ago (visiting from New Jersey) to shop the antique stores. The trees hadn't really started turning yet, so I am loving these photos. I feel like I'm there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing all your awesome photos. Such a beautiful area!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...