Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

TODAY'S SMILE

Having grandchildren in our home has reminded and taught me many things. It's reminded me of what it is like to hold a precious little life in my arms while feeling nothing but contentment. It's also reminded me of getting up during the night to feed and diaper that precious little bundle while half asleep, but the follow-up to that is a peaceful, soothing sit in the rocking chair, humming quietly as the angel babe drifts back to sleep. I have also been reminded of what it is like to step on a small toy barefoot (ouchies!), to find a half-eaten peanut butter and jelly sandwich clinging to the underside of a chair cushion or a cookie with a bite taken out of it returned to its box. During the day, I recall how bouquets of weeds are beautiful when picked and presented with unconditional love, while every night, I am reminded of those sloppy little nitey nite kisses that fill my heart with joy.

I have been totally re-educated and have learned so much, looking at the world through a child's eyes. I have learned to notice things as if for the first time, with excitement and joy; to really observe an item, such as a butterfly, with all its glorious colors, its dance-like fluttering and its unique pattern, instead of just seeing it fly by. I have learned that the sound of the rain on the roof can be intriguing if I listen closely enough to depict individual drops. I have been taught that firetrucks are fascinating, that birds, rabbits and other backyard visitors can be imagined to be playmates and that something as simple as a bug can be studied for hours. Bacon smells much better than the dog's food, baseball must be watched while yelling "big hit! big hit!", shirts and pants don't always have to match and shoes will actually fit on the wrong feet.

While taking our walks around the neighborhood, I discovered many of these things when explaining what they were to an inquisitive Jamison. Then, something magical happened. It was as if all of my senses suddenly became alive again. I began to pay attention, to really notice the sights, sounds and smells of the world around me. I explained in great detail, all I was observing to him and he in turn now shares much of that knowledge with his little sister. Our surroundings now have more meaning, hold more mystery and make our days that much more enjoyable.

This is something we can all benefit from, whether we have a little one to share it with or not. Walk around your area. Take note of all that is going on. Literally stop to smell the roses, watch a bug cross the sidewalk, admire a bird's free-form flight across the blue sky, take in the aroma of a neighbor's bar-b-que, listen to the whir of a lawn mower in the distance or the giggling of children as they rush by on their bikes. I guarantee you will notice things within the familiar that you have never paid attention to before and your world will take on a whole new level of enjoyment and serenity. Find peace in the day's joys for they are all around us. We only have to give them the attention they deserve. Have a wonderful day and thank you for stopping by! Hugs, Leena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - I LOVE hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...